Where we come from
From its humble beginning to the international Group that it is today, Mazars has always remained true to its founder’s spirit and values of deep ethical commitment, responsibility and belief that technical excellence is the key to success.
It is based upon these values that the generations which inherited Mazars managed to grow the organisation, through the co-optation of new partners, in Europe and around the world, and through mergers with firms that share the same values, vision, and objectives.
That well known national firms like Weiser in the USA, Neville Russell in the UK or Paardekooper Hoffman in The Netherlands, elected to join the partnership is proof that the Mazars way has indeed been an attractive and effective model.
Now operating in over than 86 countries across the globe, with over 20 000 professionals, Mazars has become a fully-fledged global player.
Key milestones in our history
- 1940: Robert Mazars starts its accountancy practice near Rouen, France.
- 1965: The "Cabinet Robert Mazars" limited liability company is created on January 1.
- 1973: The company moves its audit team to Paris.
- 1975: Mazars opens its first offices outside of France, in Germany and Spain.
- 1983: Robert Mazars chooses to resign.
- 1995: Mazars opens its subsidiary in Czech Republic.
- 1995: Mazars merges with Guérard Viala.
- 1998: Mazars merges with Neville Russell, one of Britain’s leading independent firms.
- 1999: Mazars & Guérard choose the brandname “Mazars”.
- 2000: Mazars merges with Paardekooper Hoffman in The Netherlands. With offices in most European countries, Mazars truly becomes an international organisation. Outside of Europe, Mazars is already present in Latin America - Brazil -, China and in a several African countries. The organisation also operates in many other countries, through correspondence agreements.
- 2003-2007: Mazars speeds up its international development, with new offices in Eastern Europe (including Russia), China, India and the Asia-Pacific area, Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Chile,...), Southern Africa and the Middle East.
- 2007: Mazars becomes one of the founding members of the Praxity Alliance bringing together over 100 independent firms in 75 countries.
- 2013: Mazars has integrated offices in over 70 countries and team of 13 500 professionals
- 2014: Mazars expands to 72 countries with 13 800 professionals
- 2015: Mazars made a big step in Germany and joined forces with Roever Broenner Susat, advisory company. This step brought Mazars to TOP 10 German advisory companies. Mazars is now in 73 countries and employs more than 15 000 professionals.
- 2016: This year, Mazars made a big step towards Asian market. In China, it undertook an acquisition of the company ZhongShen ZhongHuan, that got Mazars immediately to the thirteenth place in the ranking of China's largest consulting firms in the country. Not only expansion in China has come up with 2016, but also the expansion to markets in Australia, Mozambique and Cyprus. Mazars is now located in 77 countries and employes over 17000 professionals.
- 2017: Mazars welcomes Tanzania and Rwanda into its integrated partnership, since January 1, 2017 Mazars' offices can be also found in these countries. Currently Mazars operates in 79 countries and its services are being delivered by more than 18 000 professionals.